By now, everybody knows the story. The Ninjas in Pyjamas of old is no more. Robin ”Fifflaren” Johansson has retired from CS:GO and Mikail ”Maikelele” Bill will be replacing the much beloved ninja. When Aftonbladet Esport reach the new AWP’er it’s a very humble Maikelele who talks about his current feelings, what the future beholds and a persistent rumor -but most of all the new kid on the block want to talk about his predecessor.
– I have a couple of big shoes to fill. Fifflaren and the other guys were not just the best in the world, they were also best buddies outside CS.
On monday the news broke about Robin ”Fifflaren” Johanssons retirement. The internet flooded with tributes and salutes to the legendary swedish ninja.
The question on everyones lips was who would be replacing Fifflaren as the fifth player in the Ninjas in Pyjamas roster. Several names were mentioned in endless Reddit posts and Youtube comments. When all the speculations reached its peak, NiP announced Mikail ”Maikelele” Bill as the new AWP’er for the team.
– This is the biggest thing that can happen for a Swedish CS-player. Because there has never been a team like NiP, wether it be in CS:GO or in way back when. It doesn’t get much bigger than this, the new star told Aftonbladet Esport.
”That’s just people spreading rumors”
The road to NiP have had it’s twist and turns. Maikelele has been wandering through the Counter-Strike-scene ever since the good old 1.6-days. He continued with Source and now has, as most of us, ended up in Global Offensive. The Swede has been apart of teams like LGB, Unwanted and Mousesports in recent years. Now, all of a sudden, he plays for the most successful team in CS history.
– I will do everything I can to perform well in this group. This is on a entire new level and I already notice big differences ingame compared to teams I’ve been on before. Whenever we make a call, it seems as if we do it for a reason – it makes sense. Everything works smoothly and I’m given the freedom to roam and create map control for my teammates.
In the past questions have circulated regarding your attitude and problems you have had with recent teams. Will your behavior become an issue in NiP?
– I’ve never had any problems regarding social situations. In my eyes I’ve always been getting along with my teammates on a social level. What has happened in the past is that there seem to have been a big gap between me and the rest of the squad when it comes to our level of ambition. I wanted to be the best, when they might have only been striving for a nice hobby amongst friends. That difference in desires might have resulted in a far from optimal situation, the new ninja told Aftonbladet Esport and continued:
– I don’t have problems with my attitude, that’s just people spreading rumors.
Spotted a weakness
The new NiP is in full pratice mode. The players play from all across Sweden, but a bootcamp looms in the horizon, as do Dreamhack Winter. Faruk Pita, the coach of Ninjas in Pyjamas, have already stated that the Swedes will win the last major of the year. A dream Maikelele shares.
– I always go for the win. And through my time without a team, I’ve been able to spot weaknesses in several teams, including NiP. My ambition now is to use my AWP to its fullest and give the team previously mentioned map control – something that I believe they might have been lacking in recent months.
During our talk Maikelele keeps coming back to the fact he is playing along side Christopher ”GeT_RiGhT” Alesund, Patrik ”f0rest” Lindberg and the rest.
– I am so thankful for the support from my family. Without them and my best friend I would not be able to play with the best players in the world.