Xizt ahead of the World Championship: ”Sad the best players don’t want to make the trip”av
The Ninjas in Pyjamas icon Richard “Xizt” Landström will join forces with Fnatic leader Markus “pronax” Wallsten as Sweden will compete in the upcoming World Championship in CS:GO.
The former teammates will – alongside Jacob “pyth” Mourujärvi, Jonatan “Devilwalk” Lundberg and Mathias “pauf” Köhler – try and bring the cup home to Sweden.
– We want to win for our country, Xizt says to Aftonbladet Esport.
This weekend some of the best players in the CS:GO community travel to Belgrad, Serbia, to compete in the proclaimed World Championship in Counter-Strike. Unlike the usual tournament circuit, this time the players will compete under the banner of their native country.
Sweden, arguably one of the best nations in CS:GO, will be represented by Jacob ”pyth” Mourujärvi, Jonatan ”Devilwalk” Lundberg, Mathias ”pauf” Köhler, Richard ”Xizt” Landström and team captain Markus ”pronax” Wallsten. Ninjas in Pyjamas and Fnatic have for the longest time been the two dominating CS:GO teams in Sweden. Now, the two leaders of each team – once again – will work towards a common goal.
– We used to be really close friends and played almost every day for the three years. Ever since then, we haven’t had to many opportunities to play alongside each other as I signed with Fnatic – the team pronax later landed in when I had left. So it will be extremely fun to play with him once more, and we are still really good friends, Xizt says to Aftonbladet Esport.
”The young lads will have to help us pull through”
Just as the players were preparing to leave for Belgrade, the team’s biggest star on paper revealed that he wouldn’t be able to join the squad to Serbia. Christopher “GeT_RiGhT” Alesund was forced to stay behind as Valve is producing player introductions – not unlike those Dota2 fans enjoy every TI – with the world famous player.
– I hope that pyth and pauf can carry us old dudes, Xizt says and laughs:
– The young lads will have to help us pull through.
Xizt tells Aftonbladet Esport that according to him, every player traveling to Belgrade will also take the tournament very seriously, especially considering how much money that’s at stake.
– And you want to win for your country, but it is kind of sad that the best players from some of the teams don’t want to make the trip. People probably had looked forward for some dream teams from each country, but with that being said I still believe it will be a great tournament that every participant will try and win with passion.
”I’ve dreamt about it since I was a kid”
Pronax, who usually have four of the best players in the world in his reign, is looking forward to the tournament with pride.
– To represent Sweden in a world championship have been something I’ve dreamt about ever since I was a kid and watched other Swedish heroes on the TV, so the feeling is wonderful, the team captain says to Aftonbladet Esport as he is just about to board the plane to Belgrade.