SK Gaming started the IEM World Championship by beating the yoe Flash Wolves in a convincing manner.
Now they have to repeat that accomplishment and then Hampus ”Fox” Myhre and his teammates are hoping to face the GE Tigers again.
– I definitely feel that if we’d face them again we’d have a shot at winning. They’re not unbeatable, Fox tells Aftonbladet Esport.
The current top team of the EU LCS started their IEM Katowice run by beating the yoe Flash Wolves after a solid performance, especially from the ADC/Support duo Konstantinos ”FORG1VEN” Tzortziou and Christoph ”nRated” Seitz.
But then SK Gaming ran into a brick wall in the shape of South Korean GE Tigers. After getting a solid start, SK lost control of the game in an unfortunate dragon fight.
– We won the early mid game really hard but then we came to a drake fight where me and nRated miscommunicated to go in, and we eventually lost that fight. After that it went downhill for us, midlaner Hampus ”Fox” Myhre says.
”I really wanted that kill on KurO”
What was your own experience when facing GE Tigers, after all the hype surrounding them?
– It was different from facing other teams because they contested everything. Especially in team fights they were much more organized and they kited back perfectly, so we had a lot of trouble. But at the same time I don’t think the gap was too big between us, I still felt we had a chance and we messed up the communication.
And what was it like for you to face them in your first big international tournament?
– Personally, I didn’t feel too much difference. I was really close to killing KurO in lane which I’m a bit sad about because I really wanted that kill. For me in the lane it was similar but their team synergy was harder to face because it was really good.
”GE Tigers are not unbeatable”
Now, SK Gaming has one more shot to make the semifinals. But then, they have to repeat their first game and once more dispatch yoe Flash Wolves.
– We feel confident going into that game. We’ll have a lot more time and a lot more preparation coming into it because now we’ve seen them play as well so I’m confident going into the game. But we need to be on point with communication and get that right. That’s the main thing, if we don’t get that right we might lose.
How would you feel if you were to face GE Tigers again?
– I definitely want to face GE again because the skill gap was really close. I feel that if we’d face them again we’d have a shot at winning. At the last Worlds, Samsung White were pretty much invincible but I don’t think that’s the case this year. I feel like the gap is closer in general. GE lived up to the hype in the sense that they’re really good, but they’re not unbeatable.
TSM are also looking solid so far, what are your thoughts on facing them?
– I think our chances are good against TSM.
1PM CET: SK Gaming vs yoe Flash Wolves.